Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ahhh, Comfort Food!

It's a cold, windy, grey Saturday night. There's now on the way and I'm tired, out of sorts, achy and after surviving a week in the trenches - otherwise known as a week at my desk at a NYC law firm - I'm ready for succor.

I'm hungry for food that is relaxing, warm, comforting and filling. Hence, I've planned the perfect "comfort food" meal for tonight.

As a child I watched Soupy Sales in the afternoons and demanded that my Mother provide me the same meal Soupy had, for lunch. I don't recall being disappointed, more power to Mom for her well-stocked cupboard.

But what I recall is my favorite lunch meal. And it has become my "comfort food" meal. And it is what I'm having tonight: Tuna fish sandwich and tomato soup.

Of course, there's a twist.

The tuna will be jazzed up with a little bit of dill and a dash of freshly ground pepper and a few shakes of garlic salt. Instead of the mushy, white Wonder Bread of those days of yore (also known as the '50s), I'm having a thick slab of semolina bread that will soak up the juices and provide a crunchy crust for my Tuna Melt!

As cheese is the food group of which I am fondest (what do you mean it isn't a food group? It is in my house - blue, cheddar, swiss, brie, feta, mozzarella) I'm adding it to the top of my tuna-laden semolina with a few delicate slices of tomato between the two.

And my Campbell's Tomato Soup gets its own little spiffed up touches. The same pepper and garlic salt and a blend of milk and water - not too thick and creamy, which makes the tomatoey tang a little bit more potent - and not too watery, either.

It will be perfect. Just the thing for my tired soul, my aching knees, and my weary mind.

Had a bad day? The turkeys getting you down? Close your eyes and remember what made you feel good as a kid. Don't be shy. Doesn't matter if it's a tuna melt or a Fluffernutter sandwich. Dig in!

You'll feel better.

No comments: