Sunday, November 15, 2009

Comfort Food



It's a grey day after two days of rain. The sun was predicted to make an appearance but, apparently, has stage fright. So it is still grim, damp and generally ugly today.

Which makes it all the more enjoyable to anticipate the meal I have planned for tonight - a roast of beef. Coupled with pearl onions, carrots and potatoes and a nice portion of burgundy for the gravy. I love roasts because they don't take long to cook (2 hours tops for the size that I generally buy for just the two of us - me and Mom). The vegetables are always exquisite and caramelized and I always get a nice rich gravy which usually doesn't even need anything extra.

It makes a warm, rich, satisfying meal - not to mention excellent luncheon leftovers - which is perfect for a day like today. I'll be making one of my favorite vegetable side dishes, too, equally warm, savory and satisfying - brussel sprouts with garlic and lemon. I blanch them first, slice them in half, and then sautee them with butter, minced garlic and lemon, seasoned with only salt and freshly ground pepper. They are perfection when the sliced bottoms are caramelized and nice and brown and cruncy. MMMMMM!

Dessert? Well we're still working on the leftover Halloween candy!

Next weekend: Mission Impossible - Pie Crust.

No comments: